Applications for Half-Apple Scholarship programs are made over the Internet. They are initialy evaluated by computer and later by a selection committee using a points system. Applicants who make the top 1000 are further evaluated by close examination of the required supporting documents as well as the accompanying written text explaining their reasons for applying the program.
About 24 % of scholarship applicants were found to misrepresent facts about themselves in the past. For this reason, a dilligent selection process is necessary in order to present the donors with the best possible applicants with truthful information checked and verified by our foundation. However, donors are not required to choose the scholarship students from these lists.
Yucel Kultur Vakfi, as clearly explained in its mission and vision statement, does not discriminate against anybody according to their sex, race, religion, ethnic background, or language. YKV respects different views and beliefs and closely follows these principles in its scholarship selection process. Half Apple program is an excellent example, where a donor can choose to support anybody they wish regardless of YKV's selection criteria and the other half of the stipend is then provided by YKV.
Yucel Kultur Vakfi is constantly working on improving its selection policy in an objective and democratic manner and will continue to do so.
The following list describes the criteria used in the pre-evaluation process by computer programs and committee:
1. Turkish Citizenship is required, non-citizen applications are automatically rejected.
2. Criminal record and background check. Applicants with a clean background get 10 points. No points are given to applicants with a criminal record. However, applicants with restricted or deferred criminal records pending investigation are awarded points by the committee depending on their particular situation.
3. Student's academic progress is evaluated by university entrance examination scores for freshmen and school transcripts for current students. Between 1-10 points are awarded by the committee.
4. Student's family and social situation is evaluated and given points as follows:
a. Both parents deceased 16 points
b. Father deceased 8 points
c. Mother deceased 8 points
d. Over 4 siblings, parents living 6 points
e. 3-4 siblings, parents living 5 points
f. 2 siblings, parents living 4 points
g. Single child 3 points
h. If one or both parents are disabled, sick, unable to work or incarcerated, points are given by the committee depending on the situation.
5. Financial situation of the family is evaluated by the following points system: (Numbers are TL)
Total family income / number of family members
(<300) = 10 points
(>300, <400) = 9 points
(>400, <500) = 8 points
(>500, <600) = 6 points
(>600, <700) = 4 points
(>700, <800) = 2 points
6. Financial situation of the applicant is evaluated by looking at other types of support he/she receives (if any) education costs. (Numbers are TL)
No other scholarship or financial support (0) = 10 points
Receives scholarship (0-200) = 8 points
Receives scholarship (200-300) = 6 points
Receives scholarship (300-400) = 4 points
Receives scholarship (400-550) = 2 points
7. Social responsibility points in addition to academic success. Committee awards points to the applicant by evaluating their social contributions such as volunteering and involvement in the activities of non-governmental organizations.
8. Past and current involvement in Yucel Kultur Vakfi activities are evaluated and points between 1-10 are awarded. Applicants initially out of Istanbul and have not previously had a chance to get involved in such activities are awarded 5 points.
9. Points for leadership, creativity, project development and involvement in social and cultural programs (such as theater, cinema, music, arts, sports etc.) are awarded depending on the circumstances of each applicant.
10. Points awarded for ingenuity, skills and being open to self-improvement. The selection committe awards points according to the applicant's eagerness for self-improvement and considers his/her participation in certain areas such as seminars, courses or certification programs.
The main purpose of Yucel Kultur Vakfi is not to randomly distribute funds but discover young people who are in genuine financial need and provide support.